US Defense Sec. Esper discusses North Korea, Turkey
U.S. Defense Secretary Dr. Mark Esper on Tuesday comments on North Korea’s rocket test launch and the Turkish-Syrian crisis.
Esper says the U.S. is monitoring North Korea's recent missile activity and keeping the door open for diplomatic dialogues. Esper also says Turkey’s unilateral invasion into northern Syria will be unacceptable.
U.S. Defense Secretary Esper says the United States does not want to overreact to North Korea conducting their first test firing of missiles into the sea on Wednesday, July 31.
[Mark Esper, U.S. Defense Secretary]:
"My understanding is they are short-range ballistic missiles. I wouldn't say we don't do anything. We wanted to these very closely. We make sure we understand what they're doing. We try to understand why. But again, I think the key is to keep the door open for diplomacy. The president had a good meeting last month or so with, with President Kim Jong Un. And we're not going to overreact to these but we monitor him. We watch him closely and we're cognizant of what's happening."
Esper tells reporters that the U.S. intends to “prevent unilateral incursions” that will upset mutual interests for the United States, Turkey, and the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), with regard to Northern Syria.